Design of Succession Process for 100+ year-old company
An employee-owned United States client desired a stronger approach to Succession Planning to match their culture and business needs. This mid-sized business hired Sarah Scala Consulting to consult, design, and coach the C-Suite through their new succession approach. This included talent evaluation using the 9-Box model, creation of Succession Development plans, and Board of Director approval.
The Objectives of the Project:
- Design a Succession approach that would allow the client company to plan and prepare for expected changes in leadership
- Teach and Coach C- Suite members through the evaluation of talent
- Prepare client to implement the process the following year
Questions Guiding this Project:
- What was the current succession process? What were the pros and cons to this approach?
- What solution would they like the new approach to succession to provide?
- What concerns and desires did the C-Suite team have about changing the process?
- Design of new succession process
- Reviewed current process with Vice President of HR and CEO.
- Suggested a 9-box approach - client completed this process twice (6 months in between) for executive team, directors, and manager level employees to ensure agreement on placement.
- Succession 9-Box results were shared with and approved by Board of Directors.
- Coached each member of the C-Suite team through designing development plans for each person evaluated to close competency gaps.
- Development plans were finalized with feedback from identified high-potential employees.
- Client adopted a process to work through Succession Planning and Succession Development, especially important for roles that were anticipating movement or turnover, and for high-potential employees.
- Client organization experienced employee turnover within one year of the new process. This process provided a map to move forward, having identified who could be promoted or be developed for higher roles in the company.